Session 3 & 4 Calibrating strategic targets

Re: Session 3 & 4 Calibrating strategic targets

by David Porter -
Number of replies: 1

My thoughts are aligned with Jim Taylor's on the point of a "living" plan.

I believe that OERu should take the perspective of creating a multi-year strategic plan with a three-year look-ahead and an annual review and revision process – an evergreen strategic plan, in other words.

The idea would be to have a strong vision, a clear mission statement and a set of goals and tactics that span three years, with actionable and measurable targets for the upcoming year, and further in some cases. 

Factors that would be accounted for in the annual evergreen process would include new opportunities, issues that arise, and performance against mesaurable targets. Each of these factors would spur some part of the evergreening process of the overall strategy, vision and mission and help the OERu set the stretch targets and measures for upcoming years.

We've used a similar process at my own organization, BCcampus, and we produce our annual report at the same time that the refreshed strategic plan is also announced. There is demonstarted linkage between outcomes of the previous year's activities and what comes next.  

dp

In reply to David Porter

Re: Session 3 & 4 Calibrating strategic targets

by Wayne Mackintosh -

Hi Dave,

I like it! I think OERu should follow the lead of BCcampus here. 

I particularly like the model of combining the annual report with refreshing of the strategic plan.

This will also slot in rather well with the financial and planning schedule of the OER Foundation with our international OERu meetings. The OERF has a December year end and the OERF meetings are usually scheduled around November. This would enable us to discuss the annual report and refreshed strategic plan during the international partners meeting and Council of CEOs meeting in time for approval by the OERF Board of Directors at their December meeting.

We'll trial this during the 2014 series of meetings.