where are badges being stored and noted?

where are badges being stored and noted?

by Christine Horgan -
Number of replies: 7

Hello:

Other than Mozilla's Badge Backpack (an interesting concept), where are people "storing" their badges? What's the digital equivalent of the girl guide badge sash?

Where are people starting to "note" their badges? (a) On their Linked In page (perhaps under professional development), (b) on their resumes under professional development, (c) intheir e-portfolios?

And . . . are people noting badges under professional development or moving toward a new section on their resume/e-portfolio? (and if the latter, what are the typical titles?)

Thanks, Chris

In reply to Christine Horgan

Re: where are badges being stored and noted?

by David Porter -

Looks like "Degreed" may be one way to do it.

http://degreed.com/home

In reply to David Porter

by Peter Rawsthorne -

David,

I agree degreed.com looks to have a good potential. My concern comes in they seem to be working toward bring accredited and non-accredited learning together (all good), but I think these still make a up a lesser percentage of a persons learning. If they could extend that to learning that occurs outside of and institution (self-directed, peer-based, etc.) then they would really have something.

All early times, so fingers crossed that degreed.com looks beyond the degree... I hold the most hope on an open meta-data standard that defines the badge.

Great to see you here David. Thanks for chiming in.

Peter

In reply to David Porter

by Sheryl Grant -

Hi David, Peter, and others here -- thanks for providing this forum. 

Thought I would chime in about the proposed work that Degreed is planning on doing. They were one of the grantees awarded funding in the Badges for Lifelong Learning Competition (they were matched with National Manufacturing Institute), and while the final badge system may digress from the actual proposal, here's at least a primer on where they were going with their badge system design:  

http://dmlcompetition.net/Competition/4/badges-projects.php?id=3247?

They have a strong commitment to OER and I believe their system will reflect lifelong learning (both informal and formal, or traditional and non-traditional) pathways. 

In reply to Sheryl Grant

by Peter Rawsthorne -

Thanks Sheryl,

Really looking forward to ways for informal and non-traditional pathways of learning to be "officially" recognized...

Thanks for chiming in...

Peter

by Peter Rawsthorne -

Chris,

Outstanding question. With no simple answer at this time. Yes, mozilla open badges / backpack  is IMO the best option in the long term. Yet it still has a ways to go. I will be diving more deeply into the technology behind open badges later in the seminar series, and we explore why I believe it is the best way ahead. I just wish they took some of thier $300,000,000 per year from google and built a bigger team with more devs and qa. But I digress...

I look forward to the time where we have the equivalent to the scout sash to organize and display your digital badges. One important attribute of the sash is that it is owned by and held by the earner of the badges. This is an important distinction for how and where the badges are displayed.

A persons badges need to be open; in that they are not stored in a proprietary location using a non-standard format. The Mozilla Open Badges project is working toward this through thier federated backpack concept, badge baking, and work towards a badge meta-data standard. More on this later in the seminar series.

I believe badges should be organized, displayed, and noted as the earner wishes. I also believe badges from all locations should have the ability to be brought onto one sash or a collection of sashes owned by the badge earner themselves.

It is still early times in digital badges, so a lot of these features are in progress. Discussion forums like these will give another user directed view into what badges, and related infrastructure, could look lke

Thanks for asking this important question Chris...

In reply to Peter Rawsthorne

by Julia Hengstler -

Via the Purdue Passport beta account I was led into the Mozilla Backpack. I really liked that I could group badges how I wanted. It's early days playing with them now but was fairly easy to do & organize.

by Julia Hengstler -

Thanks, David.

I've contributed to Degreed. I think that the future of education is having some place were we can agregate our learning--from full degrees to a single badge or workshop. I like the vision expressed enough to contribute.