Analytics for Actual/Virtual

Analytics for Actual/Virtual

by Cris Crissman -
Number of replies: 19
Cris from Raleigh, NC, officially reporting in. Not really a lurker or slacker. I'm been around this week in John Fritz's session, reading, tweeting, hunching, enjoying Karon's Open Study group, just listened to the Friday session. I was once a Moodle proselytizer but have developed a real aversion to it that I'll try to get over so I can visit here more often.

I'll consider that I've achieved success in LAK11 if I learn some strategies and tools that I can apply at the course level so that I not only have data but can make good sense of it for helping my future students, teachers and teacher-to-be, make the most of the courses I teach. Particularly, I'm interested in how to get and interpret data from virtually immersive experiences.

Will look forward to the journey . . .
In reply to Cris Crissman

Re: Analytics for Actual/Virtual

by Linda Burns -
Hi, I am from Durham. Nice to see someone in the area. I am also in Second Life and Opensim (Jokiadiagird).

Linda
Sail Wozniak (in SL)
In reply to Linda Burns

by Cris Crissman -
Woohoo! What a small actual and virtual world, Linda aka Sail. I was hoping that we could form an SL group. I teach in SL and would love to learn more about virtual learning analytics.

Thanks for the response!
Cris aka 2B Writer (SL)

by Francisco Reis -
I'm also interested in that group in SecondLife.

I'm developing a virtual world and my use cases are in health and mainly in education. I would like to feel what REALLY is important that a VR supports so that learning practices can be productive.

For instance, I'm currently developing the FORUM object and intend to add soome features that I see would help in LAK11 (like tagging Forum entries as "personal" so they can be filtered out...).

When shall we meet in SL?
In reply to Francisco Reis

by Cris Crissman -
So good to hear of your work in virtual worlds and interest in learning analytics there, Francisco.

I'm very flexible time-wise. In PLENK2010, our Second Life group met immediately after each Elluminate session (and even sometimes during -- that was interesting to be in both places ;-)

Hopefully Linda will be interested, too. How should we get the invitation out to others? I'll tweet tonight. Other ideas?

Will look forward to meeting with you in SL. We can meet in the Bookhenge where I hang out or your place or wouldn't it be cool to visit the "homes" of those in the group -- a new place each week?

by Rebecca Ferguson -
Virtual worlds open up distinct possibilities for learning analytics, and it would be interesting to find out how people are already using these.

I'm involved with the Schome project http://www.schome.ac.uk/ which did a lot of work on the Teen Grid of Second Life. We used sensor data on patterns of use to guide our development of the island and the timings of activities, as well as to reflect on engagement with the project.
In reply to Rebecca Ferguson

by Francisco Reis -
Having SL during and mainly after the Elluminate sessions seem a very wise sugestion. We can use chat in Elluminate to warn each other where we are in SL. See you tomorrow in real virtual flesh!

by Nicola Avery -
Hi,

I think we gathered some analytics for a computing project in SL at Surrey a couple of years ago - will have an ask around. Also the Eduserv snapshot overall report has some info about recording activities

Also with the PREVIEW project which we were linking with - the PIVOTE scenarios provided feedback but I'm not sure in terms of overall analytics, what could be / has been pulled out - will ask around re that too,

Nicola

In reply to Nicola Avery

by Cris Crissman -
I had no idea anyone had done such a thorough analysis of how universities are using their Second Life campuses, Rebecca. I was particularly interested in the design trends and movement away from more claustrophobic "real world replicas" to more open, inviting spaces. I think conceptual architecture in SL is fascinating.

Also enjoyed the PREVIEW study on distributive collaborative problem-based learning. Francisco, you'd find these virtual healthcare environments devoted to PBL scenarios interesting. I was struck that professors opted not to meet with classes in real-time because of the tech challenges. The new viewers have made it much easier to acclimate students to SL. It's been getting easier and easier each year. At least I hope so -- I'm beginning a new class now!

Thanks so much for giving us some information to begin the conversation about learning analytics in virtual worlds, Rebecca.

Hope you can meet us in the Bookhenge tomorrow after class -- SLurl http://bit.ly/icGoFE We'll hope to meet in a different place and possibly world each week.

by Cris Crissman -
We have a plan then, Francisco!

I tweeted the #LAK11 group about our conversation tomorrow after the live session. In case, some interested LAK11ers can't attend the first session but want to meet up in Second Life afterwards -- I provided the Bookhenge SLurl so we can all meet up there -- http://bit.ly/icGoFE -- to get started. Again, I think it will be interesting to visit different places, in Second Life and beyond.

See you soon!

Meetup in Second Life

by Linda Burns -
Looking forward to meeting others in Second Life.

Sail Wozniak (SL)

by Nicola Avery -
Hi,

Just waiting for more info re PREVIEW ones, but I asked at Surrey and they said you could use LindenScript to develop various things.

You can capture open chat (such as anyone visiting Surrey Island and talking in the regular chat box (not private messaging) through location and then "it can be pushed out to any other addressable service at regular intervals. You need to be able to build in the location, in IRC"

You can also have avatar counters (as in nos visiting). One of the Surrey students taught as part of the MUVENation project and she said they used something more detailed there but she wasn't sure what it was.

"some of them are for inside Second Life, but they are very simple old ones, all the new ones have the expert system and database at the back of it so you can check it online and they are web based. This is an example of a one"
http://www.hippo-technologies.co.uk/products/hippovisit/index.php

She did mention though with services like that there are often monthly fees.

With simulations like PREVIEW and also the SEDIG one, you can put scripts on objects so that when they are touched, or asked questions, it can be recorded (numbers and I think the text too, depending on how the simulation was built)
In PREVIEW they also had metadata on the object descriptions which can talk nicely to other learning object code I think and they also had 'node logs' but I don't know exactly what data was recorded with these, will come back on that bit. On Sedig, Peter Yellowlees also wanted to get an idea of interest beyond SecondLife, so he put the video on Youtube and used the data in terms of numbers, ratings and comments on there as part of his overall assessment of how Sedig was working successfully.

In reply to Nicola Avery

by Linda Burns -
One way to record what avatars are doing in your simulation is to use bots. Duke University School of Nursing is using Bots. There is some scripting, and cost. But you can collect all kinds of data. But then you need to figure out how to process that data.

http://www.pikkubot.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start

by Francisco Reis -
You too, Cris, Moodle aversion?

I was responsible for the introduction of Moodle in the biggest private higher education cluster in Portugal. But that was back in 2006, LONG time ago!

As I've said before, Moodle is for playing catch-up, we should now be aiming at much better tools. And universities should be the great innovators in this area (like Purdue with SIGNALS).

by Cris Crissman -
I'll look forward to exploring those new tools with you during this course, Francisco!

by Francisco Reis -
That is very kind (and brave) of you to say that!

The technologies I use, WebGL and secure WebSockets, will only be available in next generation browsers so using the Alpha/Beta versions is sometimes frustrating. In www.umniverse.com the target next is set for July hoping the technologies have stabilized by then.

Thanks for your courage for it will be an extra motivation for me.

by Vanessa Vaile -
Is it Moodle aversion or general LMS / closed system aversion? I've heard LMS referred to as "toxic tree houses" but don't recall source off-hand. I've been using them teaching for 10 years or thereabout and don't see much change from then to now,
In reply to Vanessa Vaile

by Cris Crissman -
To Moodle's credit, it's the only LMS I even considered using and pioneered it at my school. I prefer the Moodle aesthetic ;-)

So, you nailed it -- mine is an aversion to all "toxic tree houses" (like that) or "walled gardens" as Jim Groom calls them. I think of Moodle as kinderWeb as in kindergarten to help prepare newbies for the open Web.

When I began, all I had was FrontPage and QuickTopic so Moodle was a joy. I realize now that Moodle was a tool for teaching and not so much for learning.

You're right. Time to evolve . . .

by Vanessa Vaile -
what is Karon's Open Study group?
In reply to Vanessa Vaile

by Cris Crissman -
It's a subgroup that is exploring a new collaboration tool that Karon discovered. Join us at http://openstudy.com/channels/4d2ed6520f1d3a7f01cf3dc5/members